Wednesday 25 March 2015

Energy and the End of Term

This week marks the end of term. No, we don't home educate year round. Yes, I am tired. Yes, I am looking forward to the holiday.

This is the end of term when creativity fails, when I am glad to have a plan and when any unsorted areas in the plan show up. This is the week when I realise that the read-aloud isn't going well and we end up reading Sixth form at St Clares as a replacement.

This is the time when I know that I can't possibly be the mother that I should be when I need God's grace more than ever. This is the time when I need to remember, more than ever, on one of my favourite texts
My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness
2 Corinthians 12v9

At a recent service, we sang a hymn which seemed so relevant for a Christian mother at the end of term. I don't recall ever having sung it before.
This hymn is a thought of the futility of relying on our own strength and based on Psalm 127. It was written by the Victorian hymnwriter Harriet Auber although she seems to have used a different version in her Spirit of the Psalms. 


Vain the toiling of the builder
 Where a home knows not the Lord;
Vain the watching over loved ones
    Where there is no help from God.

  
Vain are all the years of labour,

    Times of trial and distress,
And, without God’s love and favour,
    Vain the talents we possess.



Vainer still the hopes of Heaven

    That on human strength rely;
But to them shall help be given
    Who in humble faith apply.


  
Let us seek the Lord’s Anointed,

    And His pardon, life and peace;
Souls are never disappointed
    Who, through Christ, their prayer address.


  
May our lives bring light and blessing

    And redemption to the young;
May they, Jesus’ love confessing,
    Swell the everlasting song.



If you enjoyed this post you may like to follow Delivering Grace by Google Friend Connect, G+,FacebookPinterest or e-mail.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you'll have time to have a good rest over the half-term break. The clock changes this weekend, so perhaps the additional daylight hour will help to bring more light and sunshine into your heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that hymn, it's a lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law was telling me about this book which you can get on kindle - may be relevant?
    And i think we all know how you feel!
    http://www.desiringgod.org/books/mom-enough

    ReplyDelete