Monday 20 June 2016

June Books

June has been a rather different month with trips to take Middle Son to exams, now thankfully, over. 

As a change from watching the waterfowl in the park, 
 

we started a read aloud while waiting for an exam to end. I had been meaning to read The Green Ember to my younger two all year. Younger Son is enthusiastic about this book and has been asking for extra chapters.

When we started The Green Ember, we hadn't quite finished our previous read aloud Swallows and Amazons. My childhood copy is so battered that it would completely fall apart if I took it out of the house! As a child, I had mixed feelings about this book and as an adult, I know why. I don't quite understand Swallows and Amazons, all that sailing terminology is a bit beyond me. Anyway, now we have read to then end, we hope to watch the film which I'm hoping will make all the mysterious sailing talk clear. 

Younger Daughter is enjoying a book that I found when it was free on Kindle, Still more stories from Grandma's attic by Arleta Richardson. We haven't read the earlier books in the series but are loving the funny, stand alone stories from this book. In addition, the story about how Mabel and her parents cared for the Grandfather of a neighbouring family who was suffering from dementia is beautiful, respectful and a lovely picture of Christian hospitality. 

We have just started one of Simonetta Carr's biographies to go with our history. This one is of John Calvin. These books are accessible, clear representations of church history and well suited for 7-11 year olds.


On Sunday evenings, I have been reading the children one story from The book on the Window sill and other stories. These are short Christian stories, often about the way of salvation. They are not dissimilar to the Building on the Rock books by Joel Beeke and Diana Kleyn. 

A summer holiday task, which I love, is choosing our read alouds for next year. We hope to be studying history from about 1600 to the mid-nineteenth century. I will probably use some of the recommendations in the Story of the World activity book but want to add more British history and Christian history. Any recommendations?

If you enjoyed this post you may like to follow Delivering Grace by Google Friend Connect, G+,FacebookPinterest or e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment