In the UK, the holidays haven't started but are due to begin in the next few weeks. This is the time to be making plans for those days spent around home or the nearby area. These activities are things that we can do at home or within walking distance. My children have a range of ages from 18 to 3. I don't feel that I have to find activities for the older children but it is useful to have some things that everyone can enjoy.
I hope there will be time to enjoy ordinary things: reading and looking at books, discussions over meals, friends to play and children making up their own games.
Education doesn't stop with the holidays and particularly for early readers, reading and writing will need to carry on although probably in a different, disguised form.
Books and reading
- Library book club
- New read alouds
- DVD to go with books. We read Hugo Cabret with a home education bookclub recently but haven't watched the DVD yet.
- Local art and reading activity days/hours
- Picnic in the park
- Help in the garden-there is plenty of weeding/slug removal/pruning and hopefully harvesting to do.
- Find out about the famous people who have lived around and about.
- Blackberrying. We never have enough blackberries!
- Lunch in the garden with friends
- Teddy bears' picnic
- Bat walk
- Sand pit
- Open air swimming
- Cycling/learn to cycle
- Roller blading
- Make a scarecrow
- Make a solar oven-for a sunny day!
- Get out the guttering
- Outdoor letter matching
Herman friendship sourdough cake
- Sour dough bread
- Frozen yoghurt
- Make ice cream
- Decorate ice creams-always a big hit with little people and maybe better outside!
- Growing bean sprouts
- Decorating-I would like to tackle the kitchen but am a bit nervous about this. Probably not for the odd bored five minutes!
- Press flowers
- Holiday journal
- Marshmallow building
- Inside picnic-for wet days
Do feel free to add ideas for the summer. What has been successful in your house?