Saturday 31 December 2011

The changing scenes of life

Many years ago, my husband and I chose Through all the changing scenes of life as one of our wedding hymns. A strange choice but one that we have never regretted. 
This hymn  is Nahum Tate and Nicholas Brady's versification of Psalm 34.
It seems also to be suitable for New Year, especially in these uncertain times. Uncertain to us but certain to God.

Through all the changing scenes of life
In trouble or in joy,
The praises of my God shall still
My heart and tongue employ.

Of His deliverance I will boast,
Till all that are distressed
From mine example comfort take
And charm their griefs to rest.

O magnify the Lord with me,
With me exalt His name;
When in distress to Him I called,
He to my rescue came.

The hosts of God encamp around
The dwellings of the just;
Deliverance He affords to all
Who make His name their trust.


O make but trial of His love,
Experience will decide
How blest are they, and only they,
Who in His truth confide.

Fear Him, ye saints, and you will then
Have nothing else to fear;
Make but His service your delight;
Your wants shall be His care.



No comments:

Post a Comment