Friday 2 December 2011

Spending time with older children-this week

This is about three activities that Middle Son and I have done together this week.

Building Bonfires
We had to ban magnifying glasses and leaves last summer-the ground was getting dry and younger siblings were getting too interested.
When I was a child, we had frequent bonfires in the garden but in this day of recycling and composting, this doesn't seem to happen any more. Middle Son loves the idea of a bonfire so, this week, we have been building one. We had surprisingly little suitable wood but have made a start-now I need to do some more pruning to make the bonfire a reasonable size to light.
Cycling
This really is something that we should do more often. No pictures because I was on my bike but good to get out and exercise.

Recipe innovation
To balance the cycle ride, Middle Son made his own recipe for oven "fried" potatoes. He sliced but didn't peel, a potato per person, sprinkled with herbs

and cooked at 200C in a baking tray with a tablespoonful of oil. They were good!

There are more ideas for spending time with older children here.

This is linked to the Linky Party at Living Life Intentionally.



6 comments:

  1. I like cooking potatoes this way myself, and I like them unpeeled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to do all of those things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fried potatoes look good =-) Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you next week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your focus on spending time with older children... no matter the age, it's definitely what they need! It's great that you let him make his own recipe! My daughter loves to be inventive in the kitchen and I did too as a kid (with some rather disastrous results!) I'd love it if you'd link up to Food Adventure Friday:http://teachinggoodeaters.blogspot.com/2011/12/advantages-of-planning-ahead.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun, I'm sure my children would also enjoy a bonfire, sounds like a wonderful time spent together!!

    ReplyDelete