Friday 9 December 2011

The Queen's Life Guard

Today, Middle Son had a  home education group visit to the Cabinet War Rooms which fitted in perfectly with the Second World War history that he has been doing this term.

I knew that Miss Belle and Mr Exuberance were going to find this less interesting so decided to visit Horseguards Parade which is two minutes walk from the Cabinet War Rooms.

 To make this more relevant, this week, we read Madeline in London
and AA Milne's famous poem Buckingham Palace.

Rather to my surprise, we managed to catch changing of the guard.
The old guard -just as in Madeline
Well, isn't it lovely-they're standing sentry
Right here at the Whitehall entry.


The changing of the guard


The new guard
and the changing guards parading. The Life Guards are on the horses with their backs to the camera. Difficult to run round to get a better view with children in tow.

The Blues and Royals are on the opposite side.

We had meant to walk to the entrance of Buckingham Palace but a playground, within site of the Palace, won. A bitter wind stopped too much further exploring-still the the children were excited to see the guards and will, I hope, remember that, not the cold.

On our way home, we walked through Trafalgar Square and saw the Norwegian Christmas Tree.

They're changing the guard at Buckingham Palace-
Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
"Do you think the King knows all about me?"
"Sure to, dear, but its time for tea,"
                                                     Says Alice.


This is linked to the weekly wrap up at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers, to the Field Trip blog hop and to Fantastic Foto Fieldtrips.





6 comments:

  1. Wow, I'd completely forgotten about that poem but it's one my dad used to quote to me. I'm sure they will remember it, I've only been to London once but I remember seeing the changing of the guard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great day in London. We have been there and just happen to see the changing of the guard too. Thanks for sharing on the Homeschool Field trip hop. Now following:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah-I remember the poem from childhood too and loved reading it to my children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna-Marie-thank you. I thought that we were going to miss the changing of the guard so was delighted to find that we made it just in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful week. I love the changing of the guard pictures.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! Great opportunities to make your lessons come alive. Some day I hope to visit London and explore to my heart's content:)

    Drop by if you can, I'm giving away a membership to Math Blaster this week.

    ReplyDelete