Saturday 4 October 2014

Sufficient Grace

Sorry to have been missing in action most of the week. Some weeks are just more busy and challenging than others. This week has been one of the more challenging variety: illness and health issues for various family members; working out how to home educate around two hospital appointments in one day; Eldest Son going back to university plus the usual struggling and failing to keep up with housework and gardening. The feeling of never doing enough yet always being busy. 

In such a week, I have to go back to one of my favourite Bible verses where the Lord says to Paul

My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. 
2 Corinthians 12 verse 9

This week, I have been teaching the children this hymn which fits with just this verse.

 How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in God's excellent Word!
What more can be said than to you God hath said,
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?
 "Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.
 "When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be near thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
 "When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.
 "The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no, never, no, never forsake."
From Rippon's selection

On the way back from the university trip

2 comments:

  1. That's my favourite hymn. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo -- it looks so peaceful which is what I need in the busyness of life. Praying that you will be refreshed and ready for the next week.

    ReplyDelete