Friday 23 November 2012

Of art and cells

In our home education this week
I loved seeing Middle Son get involved in his research for an essay on the Mariana Trench. He was so keen to tell us about the pressures and the the sea creatures deep, deep under the sea.

We've made another jelly cell model. The first was some time ago when Middle Son was learning about cells. This was good revision for him and hopefully, consolidated what the younger children learnt. I do have doubts about this though-it can lead to a sugar rush! This version was rather rich in ribosomes.

Places we've been
We've been to the library and found Julia Donaldson's Highway Rat. The younger children acted this out with the aid of soft toys and a little rocking horse. The children were a bit vague about echoes-I need to find somewhere that they can hear them.

We had a Home Education group outing to the Tate Britain. Miss Belle loved this and came out with a picture which she had made which incorporated coloured transparent paper, pen and Plasticine; it wasn't easy to carry home. Middle Son found a few paintings that he enjoyed.
We always like walking near the Thames and as the Tate Britain is right by the Thames, on Millbank, we had this as an added extra.


Mr Exuberance was too young to go on the artist led visit but had a great time scrunching leaves in a playground right by the Houses of Parliament.

What's working for us
Books and more books for Mr Exuberance. I don't count how many I read him but it is a fair few. He really likes the Finger Phonics books that I brought for his sister. In addition, he has just started listening to audio books too which is convenient at times. The library provided us with a little collection of audio books, this week.

Things I'm working on
Those Tot trays. I made some this week but they didn't really capture Mr Exuberance's imagination. I need to do some more work on this and add in some things that he already enjoys. This probably just needs a bit more thought.

Thoughts I have
Miss Belle enjoys reading a few Bible verses far more than the rather forced early readers. This was how people used to learn to read for many generations. I've got a really large print Gospel of Matthew that one of my aunts gave me and we have been using this as well as readers.





3 comments:

  1. Have you tried very open ended tot trays. I've found that the less I direct my 4 year old the more she is likely to enjoy the tray. For us that means anything with any expected end result doesn't work- she just does not like to be restricted in that way. I now just provide bits and pieces to do with what she likes- so long as it stays in the tray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right about the open ended tot trays. Will put something like this together although tomorrow will probably turn out to be a day when all he wants to do is make some amazing train track-not that that is a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to read about the Bible reading Sarah. When I was teaching my daughter to read (now aged 11) I was so encouraged to find how suitable the AV was for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete