Wednesday 12 November 2014

November Read Alouds

Read aloud books take a fair amount of the day here: over breakfast, at the beginning of our time of formal education, early in the afternoon and at bed time.

So what is the current reading?


  • Follow the dream: the story of Christopher Columbus by Peter Sis. This a book from the home education library which I have read to Youngest Son so many times that he almost knows it by heart.

  • Where the poppies now grow by Hilary Robinson and Martin Impey-for Remembrance Day.

  • Our Island Story audiobook. This is the famous 1905 book by Henrietta Marshall.

  • Leading Little Ones to God- Miriam Schooland. This is a battered and loved book but really for children aged 5+ not tiny ones.

  • Poetry particularly from 100 best poems for children, Now we are Six (A.A. Milne) and Kings and Queens (E and H Farjeon).

  • Theras and his town by Caroline Dale Snedeker. This is one of the literature selection which goes with the Veritas self paced history and is historical fiction about Athens and Sparta. I recommend looking at the Veritas catalogue for book ideas. 

  • Taking Root-Diana Kleyn. This book has short stories about how people came to know the Lord.

  • Five have a mystery to solve This series is by Enid Blyton, for course. 

  • Elephants in the East Lucy Daniels. From the Animal Ark series and tells the story of rescuing elephants from poachers.
Do you have any read aloud suggestions? 

If you enjoyed this post you may like to follow Delivering Grace by Google Friend Connect, G+,FacebookPinterest or e-mail.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Love finding new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm always looking for new books too.

      Delete
  2. I am currently reading Leading Little Ones to God with Miss K. Looks like a good list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that we are reading the same book. Leading Little Ones to God is a book that I've always regretted buying as a paperback. Our copy is rather well worn now!

      Delete
  3. What a great list! I will be looking into some of those books at our local library. I came across your wonderful blog 3 days ago and I have to say that I like it quite a bit:) I live in Oregon, so I love seeing what other Mom's are teaching their children. I homeschool as well and I find your blog very motivating and encouraging. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and for visiting. I always love to learn about what others are doing in their homeschooling too.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting your reading list. It's giving me some ideas for my kiddos. My little guy doesn't seem to have enough books (he seems to prefer graphic novels and comics lately.)

    ReplyDelete