Thursday 31 December 2015

Into the New Year

Last year, I quoted from Frances Ridley Havergal's hymn with its line

God is all sufficient for the coming year.

Of course, this has been true. He has been with us, through difficulty and joy and yes, He was sufficient for the last year and will be for 2016.


Robert Robinson's verses, addressed to the Lord God, seem particularly suitable for a New Year.

 The term Ebenezer refers to a public memorial meaning Hitherto hath the Lord helped us. (1 Samuel 7 v12). Doubtless, this meaning is why the term has sometimes been used as a first name.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace,
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet.
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.


Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.


O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Wishing you all a joyful and blessed New Year.

If you enjoyed this post you may like to follow Delivering Grace by Google Friend Connect, G+,FacebookPinterestInstagram or e-mail.

6 comments:

  1. I wish you much happiness and many blessings in the coming year. I hope it is a good one for you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire and a happy New Year to you and your family.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Sarah Elisabeth! May God bless 2016 for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Annie Kate. May you know God's presence and blessing in 2016.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year Sarah, and thank you for sharing these older hymns- they are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gwen. I love some of the older hymns and they are a great encouragement to me. Happy New Year!

      Delete