Monday 21 December 2015

Christian Book List 2016

Last week, I posted my Back to the Classics list. However, as a Christian, I also want to read plenty of  helpful Christian books. Having wondered about various lists, I have ended up using my own church list or at least my own personal variant of this! The reason for the personal variant is that I have read some of the books already.


There are two lists on the Read for the Lord scheme:

Read for the Lord Start-up  list

and Sequel List.

I have muddled books from both lists and selected twelve which will, I hope, be manageable. My plan is to mark progress on my books read page and ideally, to get through these in 2016. Since this is my own list, starting books in 2015 isn't cheating!

 My main concern is about finding time for reading books that need more concentration. I have made the mistake of trying to read theological books in the same way as novels or biographies which means fast and not worrying too much about whether my reading is when I'm most alert. This doesn't lead to optimal retention! Any thoughts about the best time and method for reading light theological books?


  • Holiness by J.C. Ryle. This is a reread.

  • The Holy War  John Bunyan. I think we have the abridged version shown on the list. It is still over 300 pages so the abridged version it will have to be. 

  • The Lie: Evolution Ken Ham

  • From Forgiven to Forgiving Jay Adams

  • Names of God Nathan Stone

  • The triumph of Truth-A life of Martin Luther Merle D'Aubigne

  • Life and Diary of David Brainerd Jonathan Edwards. Another reread.

  • Inspiration and Authority of Scripture Pache

  • The Work of the Holy Spirit Octavius Winslow I'm a bit nervous about this as I have started and not finished Winslow before.

  • Faith, doubts, assurance and trials Peter Masters

  • The Bible on the Life Hereafter William Hendrikson

  • This is cheating but I was convinced that To the Golden Shore was on the list but it isn't.  Anyway, this is the 12th book!                         



If anyone wants to join me, nag me or recommend books please do. Any thoughts about how to making time for books which need more concentration is also welcome. 

If you enjoyed this post you may like to follow Delivering Grace by Google Friend Connect, G+,FacebookPinterestInstagram or e-mail.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great list! I need to be more intentional about reading in the new year. 90% of my reading is children's books! Have you ever read "Keep a Quiet Heart" by Elisabeth Elliott? That is one of my all time favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, so much of my reading is children's books too. This is to try me encourage myself to read a little more in the coming year. I have read some of Elisabeth Elliott's books but not that one. I will investigate!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this! I have been inspired to take up a reading challenge as well for 2016, thanks to you. I'm going to first try to stick to my bible reading plan! As for recommendations, the book that has really struck a cord last year was "uneclipsing the Son" by Rick Holland. There's also "heaven" by Randy Alcorn. Both easy reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I agree the Bible has to come first. I haven't read of those books but will look them up. Thank you for the recommendations.

      Delete
  3. There are lots on your list that I haven't heard of, so thank you for sharing them. I would recommend 'Having a Mary Spirit' by Joanne Weaver. I'm not very good at making time for more difficult to read books myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gwen. I will look it up. Making time is going to be a major challenge for me!

      Delete