Wednesday 4 April 2012

Fullness of joy

This week, I've been to the funeral of a lady whom I have known all my life, whose sons attended the same school and who was a member of the church I attended as a child and where I was baptised as a late teenager. She had loved and served the Lord Jesus for many years. I looked to her as an example of a Christian lady who had had heavy family responsibilities but was able to say that she was given strength for her tasks. Yes, of course it was a sad occasion but we were reminded that she is now enjoying "Fullness of joy".

As we stood around the graveside, in this Easter week, it seemed so appropriate that we sang

Low in the grave He lay-Jesus my Saviour!
Waiting the coming day-Jesus my Lord!

Up from the grace He arose,
With a mighty triumph o'er His foes;
He arose a victor from the dark domain,
And He lives for ever with His saints to reign!
He arose! He arose!
Hallelujah! Christ arose!

Vainly they watch His bed-Jesus, my Saviour!
Vainly they seal the dead-Jesus, my Lord!

Death cannot keep his prey-Jesus, my Saviour!
He tore the bars away-Jesus, my Lord!

I was so struck by the hope from a risen Saviour who has prayed that His people see His glory.

May we all also make sure that we are ready for our last day on earth and able to say that the Lord Jesus is our Saviour.

1 comment:

  1. What an encouraging Easter reminder! What a hope we have in Christ, that we will be where He is also, that we will get to see His glory! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete