Friday 4 March 2011

My grace is sufficient

Some lines by John Newton on a verse to which I come back, time after time.
"My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12 v9


Oppressed with unbelief and sin,
Fightings without and fears within;
While earth and hell, with force combined,
Assult and terrify my mind.

What strength have I against such foes,
Such hosts and legions to oppose,
Alas! I tremble, faint and fall,
Lord save me or I give up all.

Thus sorely pressed I sought the Lord,
To give me some sweet cheering word;
Again I sought, and yet again,
I waited long, but not in vain.

Oh, 'twas a cheering word indeed!
Exactly suited to my need;
"Sufficient for thee is my grace,
Thy weakness my great power displays."

Now despond and mourn no more,
I welcome all I feared before;
Though weak I'm strong, though troubled blessed,
For Christ's own power shall on me rest.

My grace would soon exhausted be,
But His is boundless as the sea,
The let me boast with holy Paul,
That I am nothing, Christ is all.

I wonder how many believers have loved this promise over the centuries; only eternity will tell.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy John Newton's lyrics and poems. They are very encouraging. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete