Tuesday 21 June 2011

Potatoes

We harvested our Potatoes for Schools bags today.
The rocket variety leaves had suffered from slugs in recent weeks. I've never had much success battling slugs. I've tried most of the non-slug pellet ideas but this year they have even had some of the tomatoes and potato leaves. Courgettes are a lost cause.

Despite the slugs, we had almost a kilogram of potatoes-thank you to the friend who loaned her digital scales for the competition!
We ate them using Middle Son's recipe for very strong garlic butter. It was good but we might not have many friends for a while-it was very powerful.
The Potato Council runs the Potatoes for Schools scheme and supplies tubers and bags in which to grow the potatoes plus a wealth of information on their website. The scheme is open to UK home educators with primary school aged children and they are now taking registrations for 2012.

I've linked this to Frugal Gardening at Smockity Frocks.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. This is the first year I'm growing trashcan potatoes. I will let you know if I am successful at the end of summer. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete