Saturday 16 April 2011

Around and about

This is a rather ecclectic selection but anyway...

Trisha has posted a short quote from Spurgeon about why we need a command to pray. I hadn't read this before but it rings so true.

One of my friends, Lisa, commented about my post on 5-a-day books reminding me about Five in a Row. Even more, she has kindly lent me her copy of volume 1. Five in a Row is a preschool curriculum based around reading a children's book each day for five days. The curriculum then suggests activities, one of which is used each day. The activities are around different areas including language, maths, history and geography and art. There are more activities than days but the idea is to limit the extras to one a day.

I've thought about Five in a Row before but not used it as I thought that I could invent the activities myself. Probably true, but in the busyness of life this just hasn't happened. So, I'm planning to "row" my first book next week. This book will also be one of our 5-a-Day books.

This week, we were able to harvest rhubarb from our garden, for the first time. Not a massive crop as we didn't want to weaken the plants but enough to make rhubarb crumble ice cream-my favourite rhubarb recipe.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were blessed by that quote, too. I'm really enjoying his sermons on prayer.

    We have all the five in a row books, and I completely understand about knowing when life is not going to allow for Mommy to customize everything and make her own plans. I'm very much at that point and am having to let go of that wish.

    Rhubarb? How neat! It must be quite satisfying to prepare a meal with ingredients that you have grown.

    Have a lovely weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to grow rhubarb again. I wonder if it's too late. I like the look of the rhubarb crumble ice cream. I will definitely bookmark it! Thank you for the links. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Five in a Row for my youngest three when they were 4,5,and 6. That was my favorite year of homeschooling and I would still recommend it 16 years later.

    ReplyDelete