Wednesday 6 April 2011

The ways of the Lord

I recently had the privilege of reading my Mother's testimony. In this she quoted the first verse of the lines below. I hadn't seen these before.

Thy ways, O Lord, with wise design,
Are framed upon Thy throne above,
And every dark and bending line
Meets in the centre of Thy love.

With feeble light and half obscure
Poor mortals Thy arrangements view,
Not knowing that the least are sure,
And the mysterious just and true.

Thy flock, Thy own peculiar care,
Though now they seem to roam uneyed,
Are lead or driven only where
They best and safest may abide.

They neither know nor trace the way,
But trusting to Thy piercing eye,
None of their feet to ruin stray,
Nor shall the weakest fall or die.

My favoured soul shall meekly learn
To lay her reason at Thy throne;
Too weak Thy secrets to discern,
I'll trust Thee for my guide alone.

Ambrose Searle 1787

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine how this must have touched you. What a treasure!

    "Thy flock, Thy own peculiar care,
    Though now they seem to roam uneyed,
    Are lead or driven only where
    They best and safest may abide."

    This verse gave me much hope, as the rest of the poem lifted my trust and faith to new levels! Thank you so much for sharing this remarkable beauty!

    ReplyDelete