Wednesday 20 April 2011

Learning for Mama

Over the last few months, I've begun to feel a bit unfair as I run through Scripture memory work with the children.

Unfair to them as it seems that they are the only people who have to work on memorisation and unfair to me as I'm not getting the benefit of learning God's Word.

I can't really learn alongside them as I was blessed with parents who helped me learn Bible passages and I suppose that I tend to teach them ones I know-easier isn't it? Don't need to constantly check whether they are right or not.

But it has been many years since I have actively worked on learning Bible verses; about time to change my ways and to hide God's Word in my heart.

Then, the Lord's Day before last, I heard a very helpful sermon on the beginning of Philippians. Sometimes, God's Word really hits and I was very challenged about a Christian way of thinking. Philippians seems such a challenge to think in the truely God-honouring way and a few days after this, Caroline announced a challenge to learn Philippians in a year. The challenge obviously had my name on it but it may have your name on it too. The challenge starts on Easter Sunday and Caroline has a supporting blog. It would be great if many of us could do this.

7 comments:

  1. We're doing this for the rest of our year's memorization work. We're using the Moleskine method, which is very helpful for the children in working independently as well as for review. I know you'll be blessed as you learn with your children! It's keeping me accountable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of the Moleskine method. Will look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's what Ann Voskamp uses. I am just using a small notebook that I got in a stationary department of a shop! I will post some pictures tomorrow. Thanks for sharing about this! :-) I have finished typing up the print-outs, and will post them on the site ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so much about A thousand gifts-must read it. We use her geography book-only realised it was the same person recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your honest reflection and sharing with us what God may be revealing. I'd like to come alongside and try to memorize Philippians in a year. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Sarah! Wishing you a joyful weekend and a glorious Resurrection Sunday!

    ReplyDelete