Monday 11 April 2011

Five day books

Anna, at Imagination Tree, has written about "5-a-day books". "The idea is that you choose 5 titles from among your usual books (or from the library) and read them every single day for at least a week."
The aim being to help children with their talking and listening skills.

There is going to be a link up and there are plenty of ideas in the comments section on Anna's post today.

I love reading to my little ones although I find it takes more of a conscious effort to read to #5 than it did to our eldest.

This list is a balance of favourites and books which we haven't really read to Mr Exuberance. This list is mainly planned for Mr Exuberance who is almost 27months and the youngest of five. Some of them look a bit battered having been much read!



-Ten in the bed by Penny Dale-this is a favourite already and we sing this.

-Webster's walk by Jill Dow-I haven't read this to Mr Exuberance yet but since it is about ducks it is likely to popular.

We are going on a bear hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury-classic book which we haven't read much to this child. Most of the others knew this by heart; he doesn't yet.

Just like Floss by Kim Lewis-We've only read this once before. I love the pictures in Kim Lewis's books and her book "Baa" has been read and reread.

Hairy Maclary's caterwaul caper by Lynley Dodd-already a favourite with its fun, rhyming text.

Our fourth child, Miss Belle, is almost four and half. I have wondered about a list for her or whether to use the same list. She often listens happily while I read to her little brother but does have some preferences of her own: Madeleine and early chapter books. I have wondered, before, about the lack of progression in picture books "The hungry caterpillar" is read to babies and toddlers who learn it by heart and then appears again, if they go to school rising five, perhaps comfort reading at an insecure time-I don't know.
I would be fascinated by other people's thoughts on progression in picture books.
For this week, I have decided to use the same list but may use a separate list in future weeks.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Imagination Tree link. I will visit them often for fun things to do with my grand cuties when they come visit! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choice of books! I would say that you should do the same list as it's more than likely that they both come and listen when you read anyway, plus it may be harder to commit to 10 books per day (although maybe not if you are super organised!) Maybe mix in a few longer ones that she will like and he may be able to listen for at least part of them, eg the Katy Morag books. Looking forward to hearing how you get on and seeing your next book list too! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    we've just started using Five in a Row. We read The Story about Ping last week and Eric really enjoyed it. The guide book gives you lots of ideas for extension activities, so we did some map work, looked at pictures of the Yangtze river, talked about how artisits draw reflections and movement and I did think about having duck for dinner! You're welcome to have a look if you'd like. Hope you have a good holiday time
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought about Five in a Row, on and off, and seen a few print outs from it. I would love to have a look at your copy. How easy is it to find the right books?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I saw your link on The Imagination Tree. Just thought I'd share that I am doing the same set of 5 for both my 13 month old and my nearly four year old. So far they are both really into it. Sometimes the little one crawls off in the middle of a story, but that's ok.

    ReplyDelete