Tuesday 18 October 2011

Apple recipe compendium part 1

Probably more for my own benefit than for anyone else, I am putting a list of apple recipes in one place.
We have tried  these recipes, except for the chutney where I used a slightly different recipe. Where possible, I will link to the recipes and where that isn't possible to where the recipe is found and give an idea of what the recipe is like.

The first part does not include desserts and cakes. I hope to cover these in a future post.

Breakfast
Granola with apple compote ( peel and core apples and simmer with enough water to cover the base of the saucepan. Take care not to let the saucepan burn. Puree if wished but this isn't strictly necessary if the apples are cooked to a pulp).

Soups
These are surprisingly good and healthier than the many dessert recipes.

Apple and tomato-I have successfully substituted tinned tomatoes for fresh.
Curried parsnip and apple

Main course
Apple and mushroom chicken casserole-this is adapted from a recipe given to me by one of my aunts.
Ingredients:
4 chicken thighs
1 tablespoonful of oil (I use vegetable but whatever you use in cooking)
1 onion-peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic-diced
2 carrots -chopped
1 cooking apple-peeled, cored and chopped
8 mushrooms-chopped
500ml/1 pint chicken stock
parsley/thyme/sage to taste

Method
Brown the onion
Add the garlic and mushrooms and brown for 1 minute
Add the chicken and brown.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to simmering point
Cook for 1 and 1/2 hours at 180C/350F until the chicken is cooked.
Serve with baked potatoes.

Pork slow cooked with apple
Apple sauce (see compote recipe) with roast pork or goose
Apple and onion stuffing with roast turkey/chicken

Vegetables
Braised red cabbage and apple
Chutney

Do let me know your apple recipes. I am always looking out for more.


1 comment:

  1. The apple mushroom chicken looks good! I think the pork roast I slow cooked today in apple cider would have been better with apple sauce. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete