Monday 31 October 2011

The United States

This week's books for Mr Exuberance (2years 9 months) and Miss Belle(5 years) this week are about the US. I'm a bit hesitant about putting up this post as there are so many people who know more about picture books from the US. These are from our family collection. Please note that we are British and are by no means experts on the subject. Feel free to suggest your favourites.

 The reason for this theme is that several of our Five in a Row books, for the next few weeks, are set in the US. Sadly, there won't be a field trip this time!

 This week we are "rowing" Lentil by Robert McCloskey. The children have taken to this immediately with several requests to read it "again". I've managed to keep to three readings today. This is set in the fictional Alto, Ohio. Robert McCloskey  also is the author of Make way for the ducklings which we have previously enjoyed.

 The little red lighthouse and the great gray bridge by Hildegarde Swift and Lynd Ward is set in New York. We are revisiting this.

 All the places to love by Patricia MacLachlan is a beautiful story set on an American farm. The pictures, by Mike Wimmer, are detailed and evocative. This story looks at different places, around the farm, loved by different family members. Probably, too, one of the most beautiful books I have seen about a new sibling.

 The jolly barnyard by Annie North Bedford is a Little Golden book. This is a funny tale, in rhyme, about how the animals propose to honour the farmer on his birthday. I like the turkey best:
 As well as I am able
 I'll decorate his Thanksgiving table.

 The last book won't be read straight through each day but we plan to dip into it. This is the ABC word book by Richard Scarry.
Happy reading!
This is linked to 5-a-Day books at the Imagination Tree.

5 comments:

  1. You shouldn't feel hesitant to post about US picture books--I'm very glad you are enjoying books/authors that I've loved since I was little, and it's nice to hear your comments on them. I post about British picture books, and I'm not an expert either, though I have purchased lots of them since living here. You don't have to be an expert to enjoy good children's books. : ) As for suggestions of my favorite US books, oh wow, I definitely have favourites...where would I begin? I think my list would be too long for this comment, though. Maybe I'll put it in a separate comment once I have a think about it. It's funny about Robert McCloskey. I have a lot of his books (Blueberries for Sal is a fav), but I have never read Lentil! Anyway, good choices this week...I need to get back to doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, thank you. Please do put in a comment about your favourite authors. Blueberries for Sal is one we haven't read. Will look out for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lentil has been a favorite around here for years! We also love the second book.... Charlotte Zolotow and Alvin Tressalt are two of my old favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll probably think of more later, but here are some of our favourites (some are older and some are newer authors):

    Jan Brett (my #1 favourite)
    Laura Numeroff
    Virginia Lee Burton
    Margaret Wise Brown
    Peggy Parish/Herman Parish (Amelia Bedelia series)
    Patricia Polacco
    Syd Hoff
    Else Holmelund Minarik (Little Bear series)
    Mo Willems (pigeon books)
    Tomie dePaola
    Max Lucado is a Christian author who has written both for adults and children--we really like his children's books.

    Let me know if you have any questions about any of those or if you would like specific titles for any particular topics. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie-thank you. Most aren't known to me although we have a couple of Virginia Lee Burton books and the Bee Tree by Patricia Polacco. Katy and the big snow is really popular round here. I'm planning to get the children some more books for Christmas so this is really useful.

    ReplyDelete